Sunday, December 27, 2015

Check your privilege (at the door)

Dear White Person,

Welcome to our blog. I'm about as pale and male as they come. I've worked on the docks, in medicine, in education, in sales, in lawn care, and every step along the way I attributed any success to hard work and a little bit of luck. Bet you've worked hard, too--and maybe had a little bit of luck™ as well.

Or maybe not--maybe those other folk got the job you could have had. You'll have a chance to share your stories on that later. The if-only-my-name-was... tales shared when the others are not around.

I carried my social justice card with pride--my folks were involved with the NAACP while we were growing up, I worked the Prince Street projects and at the Lincoln Motel shelter, I live in a neighborhood of color. Heck, I'm even black Irish! Bet you've got your credentials in order, too.

Let's talk!






No comments:

Post a Comment